Thursday, September 2, 2010

Is It a Card? Or...

My nephew is turning 16 this weekend.  Mind you, this is my youngest nephew which means that not only is he turning into a young man but I am turning into an old aunt!  He asked for some CDs for this birthday and even though I had no idea what I was buying, I gamely bought him one.  I had already decided that I was giving him this card, so I needed a something to give him the CD in.  Behold this "card."

The layout came from the Taylored Expressions sketch challenge this week (although I changed it to square instead of rectangular).  But this is not actually a card.  There is a flap that you can't see that folds over the front which turns this card into a very slim box that can hold a CD!

The CD was encased in a very thick cardboard (instead of the usual plastic case) so I was able to make this box very slim (only 1/4-inch thick).  I used dimensionals on the bottom half of the panel with the buttons which left some space for me to tuck the flap in and hold the box closed.  I think it's adorable.  I hope he does too (although he's a boy and could probably care less about these things.  However, I'm sure his mother will save it for another use)!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have time to stamp today!

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Hi Jen,
I just went through your blog and love your style. You cards are all so pretty, I am happy I found you on SCS.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Smiles,
Lesley