Saturday, May 5, 2012

PPA134 and FTL189

What do you get when you take a great color challenge (as in the one at Pals Paper Arts) and a great sketch challenge (for instance, the one at Clean & Simple)?  Well, in my case, you get several cards that you reject because they don't quite pass muster.  Then you finally decide to go with one because you're exhausted from trying to figure out why you can't make a card that you're happy with.



Arrgh!  I hate when this happens.  But I've decided that I'm somewhat okay with this card, so you all get to see it anyway.  It's funny how sometimes you make a card and it all just comes together somewhat easily and then other times it's like pulling teeth.  This one was definitely of the "pulling teeth" variety.

I used a small piece of specialty carstock from Parisian Breeze DSP for the little Baja Breeze layer.  This is one of my all-time favorite DSP packs and I've got quite bit left basically because I'm too afraid to use it.  Once it's gone, it's GONE.  As in I'll never get to use it again.  I'm not sure I'm strong enough to handle that.

The layered flower is one of my new favorites from PTI, and I added a pretty Calypso Coral brad in the center.  The sentiment is from Bring on the Cake and despite the birthday theme of this stamp set I think I'm going to give this to one of my sisters for Mother's Day.  That particular sentiment is versatile enough to be used a bunch of different reasons, I think.  And I feel somewhat weird giving a "happy mother's day" card to my sister.  She's not my mother after all!  But it recognizes a special day and is a nice compromise I say to myself.

Thanks for stopping by!


12 comments:

Unknown said...

Well you may have lost some teeth along the way, but I think it turned out super cute!! Your sister will love it I'm sure. I can totally relate though. Some cards just don't come together the same way we see them in our minds.

Ann Schach said...

This is a fabulous clean and classy card, Jen! I love the paper piercing, and the wonderful flower! Thanks for playing with the Pals this week!

S.R Style said...

Beautiful card!

Vicky Hayes said...

It was well worth all the hassle Jen I love it - particularly the way you balanced out the flower with the sentiment.

Jen Timko said...

i love this one, Jen. Perhaps you were just looking at it too long (I totally know how you feel). What a perfect sentiment for your sister. I know she will love it!

Dawn Tidd said...

I think it's perfect on both counts, Jen! Thanks for joining us at the PALS!

Tui Nathan said...

This is stunning .... love the pop of yellow in the background and the pierced edges is a fabulous touch!!!

Linda Callahan said...

Worth every tooth you lost! Love it! The flower is fabulous and the paper piercing is perfect - I love when alliteration works :)

Cathee said...

Beautifully simple! I love the color challenge colors included in the sketch design.

Teresa Zuehls said...

Great card and take on the sketch! Love the red flower against the blue pp! TFS

Chanray said...

I love this card, the colors and the choice of the papers. It's stunning!

sara said...

Love this card. That little flower is perfect.