Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Freshly Made Sketches 240!

Hello, hello and welcome to the latest edition of a card I made for Freshly Made Sketches.  The sketch this week is designed by Jen Brum who makes some seriously beautiful cards.  I pondered this sketch for a while then I was telling a friend at work about it.  I showed her the sketch and, without blinking, she said it looked like a cake.  Never one to ignore a perfectly good idea I turned the sketch on its side and went with it.



At first I was going to make the cake using layers in the colors of the challenge at CAS Colours & Sketches.  I got it all assembled then began looking for some images of candles in my stash to finish it off.  I didn't find any candles but I happened to spy an old wedding stamp set which had a very simple tiered cake with a few flowers on it for decoration.  So I scrapped my original idea and went with an all white cake and added a few wee flowers in the colors instead.


The top layer of my cake has some dripping icing that is actually a punch in the style of dripping goo.  I got it about a hundred years ago when I used to make little treat boxes that looked sort of like Herman Munster.  The dripping goo made a perfect set of bangs for ol' Herman!  I don't use that punch very often but it's one of those things I'll never get rid of (like my electric fry pan) because it comes in handy every so often!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you'll hop on over to Freshly Made Sketches to check out the amazing cards from our design team.  There are so many cool renditions of this sketch you will surely find loads of inspiration there.  I hope to see you in the gallery!

Supplies
Paper:  White Linen (Ellen Hutson); Rose Red, Blushing Bride, So Saffron, Whisper White (SU)
Accessories:  Basic Pearls (SU); Drippy Goo punch (Martha Stewart)

14 comments:

Shelly said...

This is so pretty! Love your layered cake!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, what a fabulous take on the sketch! I love it!

Linda Callahan said...

Well I love cake....even if it does have goo on top! Great take on the sketch and I love how you made it a wedding cake with just bits of color!

Lisa Elton said...

Well, I would say your friend has a great eye Jen because this is brilliant!! Love that you added minimal flowers too. Very PRETTY card!

Karren said...

Your workmate is decidedly clever! To turn the sketch into a cake is genius! And what a wonderful and elegant card you've made with that cake.

Patricia Hays said...

The white cake perfectly shows off the flowers in our CC&S challenge colors! I have a hard time creating cards that are mainly white on white, but you've mastered that technique here. Thanks so much for joining us at CC&S! :)

Jen Timko said...

BRILLIANT!!!! It is totally a cake sketch.....now that you have shown us, lol! Love this. It is beautiful!

Unknown said...

Jen - what an awesome CAS card. So absolutely beautiful - I'm so glad that you chose CAS Colours & Sketches as your colour inspiration. I hope that we'll see you again soon. Liz x

Tracey McNeely said...

So pretty Jen, I just love those tiny flowers!

Jen Brum said...

This is one fabulous card Jen! I love that cake! All that white is just gorgeous! Love the sweet little flowers too! Beautiful!

Stampingcountry said...

Ooh, love the white and white. The cake was a great take on this week's card sketch.

Beverley said...

Loving the white on white with splash of coloured flowers. Great take on the sketch too. Thanks for joining in on the fun at CC&S. Hugs Bev x

Petra Swart said...

What a brilliant idea and take on the sketch, Jen!!!! So creative and beautiful in white on white with the tiny little coloured flowers!!! So sweet!!!!

karen h said...

Awesome CAS card; great use of the colors! Thanks for playing along with us at CC&S!