Thursday, May 10, 2018

CAS(E) This Sketch 271 Meets Fusion

It's time for me to combine a couple of challenges.  Every two weeks I make a card for the CAS(E) This Sketch challenge and the Fusion challenge.  This week the mood of the Fusion inspiration put me in mind of a masculine card.



I thought and thought about this card for quite a few days.  I had decided early on that I wanted to sponge some shades of blue on the main focal panel but didn't know what I would do for that vertical layer.  My first thought was a strip of vellum (when in doubt vellum is the answer!) but started thinking about that lighthouse in the Fusion inspiration photo.  A lighthouse is long and lean like that panel so it would be perfect for his sketch!  I didn't have any lighthouse images in my stash so Etsy to the rescue!  I bought some images, cut a few out with my Scan N Cut, and chose one that looked good to my eye.  I lightly colored it in some shades of gray and there you have it!  I also added a few sequins to my background and reckon that they are stars in the night sky!

At CASology the cue word is Marine.  I'm adding this over there because lighthouses are associated with the seaside.  And things in the sea are marine in nature, right?  Plus my Dad was a Marine!


Thanks for stopping by!  There's a whole lot of fun going on at CAS(E) This Sketch and Fusion so be sure to check out our challenges.  My fellow design team mates have made some gorgeous cards to inspire you.  I sure hope you'll join us in the gallery!

Supplies
Stamps:  It's Your Birthday (Stampin' Up!); Lighthous (Pixelence)
Paper:  Soft Stone, Dark Indigo (Papertrey Ink); Real Red (Stampin' Up!); Marker Paper (Strathmore); Solar White (Neenah)
Ink:  Weathered Wood, Stormy Sky, Chipped Sapphire (Distress); Jet Black (Altenew); Copics
Accessories:  Winter Wonderland sequins (Neat & Tangled)

13 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

I need a lighthouse stamp because I never would have thought of Etsy! Pretty scene!

irishgalkelly said...

Jen, I love your lighthouse card! The background and stars are so pretty and the lighthouse is just fantastic! I think this is perfect for the guys in our lives, simple and uncomplicated. I love lighthouse images too and wouldn't have thought to search on Etsy for an image. You're so clever!

Leigh Penner said...

I love how we both used lighthouses for the sketch! Great minds... 😉

https://bharatinayudu.com/ said...

Hi Jen! what a beautiful CAS design for the lighthouse card. The smooth ink blending on the background helps the focal point pop even more. I love your idea of using sequins for stars. Very nice take on the cue word. Thanks for joining us at CASology. Hugs - Bharati

Barb Ghig said...

As always, your CAS design is stunning, Jen! I love your crisp, clean lighthouse, and how you were able to combine challenges...Such a beautiful card!

donna mikasa said...

Looks like you and Leigh were on the same wavelength!
Love the nautical theme!

karen h said...

Beautiful card - love that background! Thanks for joining us at CASology!

Karren said...

Wow, this is such a great take on both challenges! That lighthouse really pops against your gorgeous background.

Melissa said...

What a fantastic design, Jen! I love how clean and crisp this feels!!!
Thanks so much for playing along with us over at CASology! :)

Darnell said...

I reckon you're right about those sequints being stars in your pretty blended sky, Jen! And the lighthouse definitely fits the long and lean lines of the sketch! I love this! Hugs, Darnell

Lisa Elton said...

Your sky is fantastic with the pretty lighthouse Jen! This is a peaceful card!

Marlena M. said...

This is fabulous Jen! Wonderful scene you've created here~

Michele K. Henderson said...

I LOVE your striped lighthouse! The contrast looks beautiful against the pretty blue background too.